Social media is key to building a personal brand! Social media sites like Facebook and Instagram each have their own strengths, so don’t just push out the same content on each one. Social media is a vast, intimidating landscape, so make sure you have a strategy before you start trying to build your personal brand.
This 6 minute video provides some helpful tips for building a brand on Facebook, Instagram Stories, SnapChat. Hopefully get the gears turning in your mind, and will help you think of a strategy to start building your personal brand online.
The video itself was shot on an iPhone, proving that you already have the resources you need to get started!
Social Media: How to Build Your Personal Brand (Video)
Tips for Personal Branding on Social Media: Using Facebook, Instagram Stories, & Snapchat
When building a brand, make sure it’s around something you love, and really care about. When you are pushing out content on a daily basis, you should be passionate about it!
For this video, they use the example of a personal trainer using social media to build a brand, but there are dozens of fields and industry niches where the same tips are just as valuable.
- Have a good-looking website with sharp photos and a good bio (consider squarespace). WordPress is a great, flexible way to go if you have a little knowledge of blogging. You can find hosting for as little as $5 per month from sites like GoDaddy.
- Produce relevant content to establish yourself in your industry or field.
- Videos are a great way to do this. In this case video relevant reviews and content on youtube and Instagram Stories can attract an audience. on running shoes, recommended exercises, etc.
- Make sure that your video seo-friendly topics and phrases are easily searchable, like “the best way to do a pull-up”. These phrases are important for when you do a blog post about it later
- Social media sites like Facebook and Instagram have very different user-experience, so don’t push the same content to each one. Your audience might be turned off if you do!
- Think of Facebook as a way for people to discover you. This is a place for viral videos and engaging articles
- Don’t push the same content to Instagram, as the user experience is very different
- Use hashtags on Instagram. Consider adding relevant hashtags (include popular hashtags) as a seperate comment on Instagram to keep your photos looking clean (you can use up to 30!)
- For good-looking photos, consider photo-editing apps like Snapseed. You should consider adding text to your photos with WordSwag to create memes
- Create a fan page or business page on Facebook for your personal brand.
- Your brand should feel accessible. Snapchat and Instagram Stories are a candid way talk to your audience. Use them to show your day-to-day activities, workouts, etc. Snapchat and Instagram Stories are a great way for personal interaction with your audience.
Building a Personal brand? Don’t drown in the social media ocean!
The social media landscape can be overwhelming, so make sure you have a strategy before you get started. Envision how you can use social media sites together to effectively promote your personal brand without duplicating content.
After you have an established website, consider getting started on just one social media site, so you don’t spread yourself too thin!
When you are ready, remember that “low-tech” marketing tools like business cards are still relevant in the 21st Century, and should include a link to your website or Facebook page.
Good luck!- Please Share!